Chinese Marriage Requirements for Immunizations and Vaccinations to Apply for a K3 or K1 Visa and Adjustment of Status


The advantages of knowing others that have completed the process of a Chinese marriage or bringing a Chinese fiance to the United States to tie the knot is learning about marriage requirements. Unfortunately for all of us, there is no U.S. Citizens and Immigration form or instructions titled “How To Be Prepared”.

Immunization Records

These are small tips that can save you and your loved one time and money. So, when it comes to marriage requirements for the process of  immigrating a spouse or fiance to the U.S., immunization and vaccination records are no exception.

After a successful interview for the K3 or K1 visa, and in the rush and excitement of getting ready to pack those important items to bring to the United States, don’t forget to bring a history of immunizations and vaccinations.

For those U.S. citizens who will experience the tradition of a Chinese marriage in the People’s Republic, there are no current requirements for a medical exam to register for marriage. However, the foreign spouse or fiancee of a U.S. citizen applying for a K3 or K1 visa in China, and later Adjustment of Status after entering the United States, will be required to get (2) medical exams.

Have your spouse, fiancee, and any child that will be coming along, bring their immunization and vaccination records with them. They should have these medical records translated to English and notarized before leaving China.

By having proof and a record of vaccinations already administered, this will save some money and needless injections later. Your Chinese spouse or fiance can get these records notarized and translated to English by the Civil Affairs Office that has jurisdiction over the Provence they live in.

The first exam will be ordered as part of an interview packet which will be sent to the Chinese spouse or fiance by the U.S. Consulate in China. This will be after your petition has been approved and forwarded by the National Visa Center (NVC). This first exam will be administered in China by a doctor approved by the U.S. Consulate.

The second exam will be part of the marriage requirements to apply for Adjustment of Status here in the United States, either Permanent Resident (if married over 2 years) or Conditional Resident (if less then 2 years). This exam will be given by an approved Civil Sergent located closest to the U.S. spouse’s place of residence.

The first exam, in the process of applying for a K3 or K1 visa, will check for (top suspect) diseases or disorders that would make someone inadmissible such as HIV, infectious tuberculosis, and untreated venereal or other sexually transmitted diseases. The second exam, in the United States for Adjustment of Status, will require an examination of a chest x-ray, a test for tuberculosis, and required immunizations and vaccinations.

A Chinese spouse, fiance, and their children’s vaccination history, medical history and age will determine which of the vaccines will be required after entering the United States and filing for Adjustment of Status.

Vaccinations for preventable diseases recommended by the U.S. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) include:

1. Mumps
2. Measles
3. Polio
4. Rubella
5. Tetanus
6. Diphtheria
7. Pertussis
8. Haemophilus influenzae Type B
9. Rotavirus
10. Hepatitis B
11. Hepatitis A
12. Meningocococcal disease
13. Human papillomavirus
14. Zoster
15. Pneumococcal pneumonia
16. Influenza
17. Varicella

In summary, if you will be traveling to China for a traditional Chinese marriage or you plan to have your Chinese fiance come to marry you in the United States, let them know how important it is to bring there immunizations and vaccination records along. This way, after completing there marriage requirements for US Citizens and Immigration Service (USCIS), they will be able to lift there arms and give you a big hug. 🙂


  1. Terrence says:

    Hi Randy,

    congratulate and what a nice niche blog you got here. Thanks for the article above as I learned something that I do not know about the Chinese immigration to US. Interesting enough…
    .-= Terrence´s last blog ..Particle Distribution for Soil Test =-.

  2. Randy Marsh says:

    Thanks Terrence, I’m glad you enjoyed the information.

  3. Ron says:

    “As a U.S. citizen, registering for marriage in China will require you to take documents and prove to the Chinese Civil Affairs Office that you can legally marry.
    Your documents will need to go through a process know as Authentication before you leave the United States.” I read this in your manual last year but instead contacted the consulate in Chengdu. It was much easier to take certified copies of my divorce(s) to the consulate along with the remainder of their required information to obtain a marrigability form. It took about an hour of waiting, and the form was quickly accepted by the Chinese government. It was a very easy process compared to your recommended proceedure.

  4. Randy Marsh says:

    I try to help my readers by not taking chances. Most of them would rather have their documents in hand when they arrive in China. I have recommended this option for those who waited till the last minute with no time to get their Affidavit of Single before leaving the United States. Most people are on a limited time frame. They really don’t want to take a train or fly to a City where the US Consulate is located or take the chance of not having what they need. It’s always good to have more then one option, and I’m happy that everything worked out best for you.

  5. Kent Browning says:

    Hello Randy,
    I recently married my wife Feng, Jan. 13, 2010. I am in the process of bringing her and her daughter here with the I-130 and I-129F petition. I want to thank you and Ying for all your help. If it was not for your book I would have spent thousands of dollars more and taken much longer. The book also helped me start the process faster. I cannot say enough, the value of your book is to anyone wanting to marry a loved one in china. Yours and your wife Ying’s personal help and support is just amazing! I followed everything in your book exactly. Now that I have been married and through a lot of the process, I want to tell everyone the importance of your book. In China your book was undoubtedly the most important help that anyone could ever ask for. I also want to recommend to everyone thinking of marrying a loved one in china to join your blog. You have helped so many people and with all of our experiences, we can also help each other with important information. Every case is a little different and the blog is so important for receiving and giving information to everyone. I will never be able to thank you and Ying enough. Kindest Regards, Kent Browning

  6. George says:

    Hi Randy, just found this website and wished I had searched more carefully before. My wife and I married in the US last year (May, 2009), and before we left we filed for the immigration visa through an immigration attorney. She initially had us complete both the I-29 and I-30 paperwork, but the I-30 was approved first and that was all that was filed. Guangzhou received our approved paperwork in March, and our priority date is 24 July 2009. Checking the visa website, they are currently working on priority dates before July 2008. My question is time frame. According to the website the dates are for spouses of permanent residents. Do you know if there is a different approach for spouses of citizens? Also I suppose my wife’s visa would be a CR-1 when and if we get there. Any idea how long these things take?

  7. Randy Marsh says:

    Hello George

    Thanks for your comment and question. Being the I-130 petition was approved and the I-129F was dropped, your wife will for sure be dealing with a CR-1. Couples from our group, and I’m speaking about (U.S. citizens) with Chinese spouses, the time frame on average is about 3 months after NVC forwards the approved 1-130 to Guangzhou till the Chinese spouse receives the first information packet. As soon as she completes the request in that first letter and mails it back, it should take about 4 weeks and the U.S. Consulate will send the second letter with an interview date.

    Your attorney may of told you this already but, in the first letter they will request an I-864 Affidavit of Support which is supply by the U.S. spouse. If you start doing this now and collecting any supporting documentation it will be ready when the time comes and save you and your love one any delays.

    Take care an we wish you the best

    Randy and Xiaoying

  8. Al Vair says:

    Hi Randy,

    Ying (living in Beijing) and I are planning on marrying in China in early September.

    I didn’t need to do too many Google searches to realize the maze of “Street” vendors willing to offer their “professional” help.

    I have read your site and subscribed to the blog. Though, I have one nagging question from all my internet searching, a number of places seemed to indicate that now the CR1 process may be just as fast as the K-3 and wondered if this is true?

    I know the K-3 would allow Ying to return to China during the waiting period, which could really be important if something came up with her relatives. Though, the CR-1 would give her permanent status off the bat, and supposedly cost a lot less. What do you think given all the recent cases you have heard about from subscribers?

    Other than that, I wondered how you fill out the forms (I130 & I129) with her personal information, when she can only provide it in Chinese. I was hoping your book would help in this area, but not sure. Do we have to get a notorarized/certified translation of her info, and if so where do we go in Beijing or the USA to get this done?

    Thanks much!

    P.S.: I also asked these same questions in a response to your email “Thanks for joining Chinese Marriage USA”.


  9. Randy Marsh says:

    Hi Albert

    A few years ago, when I wrote the China Marriage and K-3 Visa Guide it was taking CR-1, IR-1, applications up to (2) years for approval. Yes, you are correct in the information you have found on the CR-1. In most cases it’s just as fast as K-3 in 2010.

    I have been working on a new membership course that will walk a couples through gather the legal document, supporting evidence, registering for marriage in China, and will cover IR-1, CR-1 and the K-3 Visa. I have writers from China translating the important parts for the Chinese spouse, the interview, what evidence to save, and what documents the US Consulate will send etc. This has been a request from my subscribers for years, and now they will have support in Chinese as well.

    This course will last for (4) months with weekly lessons and email follow-up. Unfortunately, it is not ready yet. Hoping to have it (Live) by December.

    In the K-3 Visa guide, If a person wanted to use it for CR-1, you would not file the I-129F and the US spouse would use the I-864 and not the I-130 for Affidavit of Support. Other then that all other issues are the same.

    To start gathering your documents needed to take to China, you will need an Affidavit of Single Form. That will get notarized with your county Clerk of Courts and then by your states Secretary of State for Authentication.

    That’s just the start. If you were divorced or widowed those documents will also need State Authentication before sending then to the Chinese Consulate/Embassy that holds jurisdiction over the state the document was expedited in.

    I hope this information gives you a good start. Good luck to you and your fiancee and, stay in touch.

    Randy & Xiaoying

  10. Randy Marsh says:

    @ Albert

    In my reply I failed to mention that the I-130 will not need to be filled out in Chinese so, you have nothing to worry about there. All the documents you need to bring back from China will need to be translated. This is provided by the Civil Affairs Office in China. The Civil Affairs Office will also need to translate your English documents before you go to the Chinese Marriage Bureau.

    After your marriage, you can have the Civil Affairs Office make Notarial booklets that will contain all the notarized legal document for you and your spouse. Get (2) sets, one for you to bring back for filing with USCIS and the other for her to use at the US Consulate interview.

    Take care,


  11. Natasha says:

    Hi! I cannot seem to navigate successfully through this website to contact someone or make a new post.

    My situation is slightly different than the posts on here and I wanted some information.

    I am a US citizen and my boyfriend is a permanent resident of the US but he is a Chinese citizen. We want to have two weddings – the first in China and the second in the US.

    What do we need to do to plan for the wedding in China? I think things might be slightly different since he is a permanent resident of the US but I wanted to ask just to be sure.

    What does this mean if I marry in China? Will I lose my US citizenship? Where should I go for all the basic info I need?

    These may sound like silly questions but I honestly have no idea what I’m getting myself into and want to make sure I have all the information I need to make the best decision.

    Thank you so much,


  12. Randy Marsh says:

    Hi Natasha

    To have a legal marriage in China your Chinese fiance must apply for marriage with the Civil Affairs Office that holds jurisdiction over his place of residency. This may be a problem now. Your Chinese fiance should contact the Civil Affairs Office that holds this jurisdiction.

    The Civil Affairs Office will ask him to submit a certificate of marriageability. This establishes that he is legally able to marry and it is obtainable at the Civil Affairs Office. In addition, they will need his household registration book and Chinese ID.

    The US citizen will need to provide to the Chinese Civil Affairs Office, their U.S. Passport and Visa. Also, an Affidavit of Single that was authenticated by the Chinese Consulate/Embassy in the United States or a Marriageability Affidavit from the US Consulate/Embassy in China.

    It would be much easier to legally marry in the U.S. and then you could still have a reception with family and friends in China.

  13. My mom is already living separately with my dad. Do you think it is much easier to take certified true copies of divorce papers from the consulate along with the remainder of their required information to obtain a marrigability?

  14. Randy & Xiaoying says:

    Hi Marie,
    The Chinese Consulate/Embassy in the United States will need to authenticate that a divorce document exist. The divorce decree will need to be authenticated by the state Secretary of State that holds jurisdiction to the consulate. The reason for state authentication is because the Chinese Consulate/ Embassy will only accept a notarized document that has been authenticated by your states Secretary of State. Once the Chinese Consulate/Embassy attached their authentication to the document, it will be accepted in China at the Chinese Civil Affairs Office.

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge